This savory breakfast bowl is one of my all time favorite breakfast dishes. If you struggle with finding simple yet delicious savory breakfast options, this bowl is for you. The dish consists of a layer of spinach, roasted mushrooms and potatoes, boiled eggs, and a delicious herby vinaigrette. The boiled eggs and vinaigrette can be made well in advance, so make plenty of each for easy breakfast bowls throughout the week!
How to Boil Eggs
The first step in boiling the perfect egg is to boil water, fill a small or medium pot three quarters of the way with water and place over high heat. Then gently place the eggs into the boiling water with a spoon. Time the eggs to make sure you get the perfect consistency. Boiling eggs will take anywhere from 5-12 minutes, depending on what you like. 5 minutes will yield a runny yolk, whereas 12 minutes will give you a very firm hard boiled egg. For a jammy egg (my preference) you’ll want to boil the egg for 6-7 minutes. As soon as they’re done, place the eggs in an ice bath (a bowl of water and ice) to stop them from cooking further. Boiled eggs are good in the fridge for upto a week, so make as many as you need for the week for easy breakfast meal prep.
Customize your Savory Breakfast Bowl
This bowl is extremely simple, but can easily be changed to customize your tastes. Below are the individual components and suggestions on how to switch it up.
Spinach: Any leafy greens are great as the base for a savory breakfast bowl. Arugula adds a delicious peppery bite.
Roasted Veg: This recipe consists of potatoes and white button mushrooms, but really anything goes here. Peppers, sweet potatoes, squash, zucchini, or any other variety of mushroom available to you. Keep in mind that some vegetables may cook quicker than others, adjust cooking times accordingly.
Boiled Eggs: Scrambled, fried, or poached eggs are all great here. The reason behind using boiled eggs is due to the simplicity of bulk prepping. I boil 8 eggs at a time, good for 4 future breakfast bowls. To make this recipe vegan, omit the eggs and add tofu or chickpeas for added protein.
Herby Vinaigrette: The vinaigrette consists of extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, flat leaf parsley, minced garlic, salt & pepper. Try experimenting with different herbs to see what you enjoy! Cilantro is also a great addition with the parsley.
Egg, Mushroom, & Potato Savory Breakfast Bowl with an Herby Vinaigrette
- 4 Eggs
- 2 cups Baby Spinach
- ½ cup Curly Parsley
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Roasted Potatoes & Mushrooms
- 2 Medium Potatoes or 1 Large Potato
- 8-10 White Button Mushrooms
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp dried Oregano
- ½ tbsp Garlic Powder
- Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°
- While the oven is preheating, prepare the vinaigrette. Finely chop the parsley and mince the garlic, then add to a medium bowl. Add the apple cider vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, and about 6 cracks, or 1 tsp of black pepper. Salt to taste and set aside in the fridge until ready for serving. The vinaigrette can be made well in advance, see notes for instructions.
- Cube the potatoes and add to a medium bowl. Quarter the mushrooms and add to the same bowl. Add extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, dried oregano, garlic powder, about 2 tsp of salt and about 10-12 cracks or about 1 tbsp or black pepper. Toss until all the mushrooms and potatoes are well coated.
- Place the mushrooms and potatoes in a baking dish and roast in the oven at 400° for about 40 minutes, or until the potatoes are completely cooked through, giving them a mix halfway through.
- Next, prepare the boiled eggs. In a medium pot add enough water to fully submerge the eggs and cover by a few inches. Prepare a bowl with water and ice to put the eggs into once they are done boiling.
- Once the water is boiling, gently add the eggs in one at a time. The boiling time will depend on your preference.5 minutes: runny egg6-7 minutes: jammy egg8-9 minutes: hard boiled eggOnce the eggs are done boiling, remove and place in the ice water bowl. Once cool, peel the eggs. Slice in half for serving.
- Finally, assemble the bowl by adding a cup of spinach as the base, a layer of potatoes and mushrooms, the boiled eggs, and a healthy serving of vinaigrette.