There is arguably no better winter meal than a big warm bowl of soup. Especially a ginger, cauliflower, and chickpea soup. This is a super simple recipe using only a number of ingredients for an absolutely delicious, warming, nutrient filled soup. There are only 11 ingredients, and the whole process only takes about 15 minutes of hands on time. The soup will last 3-4 days in the fridge and can be frozen in individual portions for 4-6 months for a tasty, convenient meal.
How to Make and Customize the Soup
This soup only requires 11 ingredients and about 3 steps. The components that make up this soup are:
- Dried Chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- Fresh Ginger
- Dried Turmeric
- Cumin (Seeds or Powder)
- Turmeric Powder
- Bay Leaves
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Vegetable Broth (or water)
The first step is to saute all the vegetables until softened and the ginger is fragrant. Then, add the apple cider vinegar and spices, mix everything well. Add the broth, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and cover with a lid for an hour.
For extra protein add shredded chicken. Add whole chicken breasts into the broth at the beginning of the simmering process, remove the chicken after an hour and shred then add back in.
Any vegetables would be a lovely and welcome addition to this soup. These types of dishes are great for using up any produce that may be about to go bad.
If you prefer a creamy and smooth soup to a chunky soup, once everything is done cooking use a blender or immersion blender to blend the vegetables. If adding chicken, blend the soup after removing and shredding the chicken but before you add it back in.
This soup can be served with bread, potatoes, or rice for extra carbs.
Dried chickpeas need to be soaked overnight and then boiled for 1-3 hours before they can be used in any application. Cooked chickpeas can be portioned out and frozen for 6 months to be used in countless applications. I highly recommend keeping cooked chickpeas ready for use in the freezer as canned chickpeas will never have the correct texture.
Try These Recipes Next!
We hope you enjoy this recipe! Don’t forget to tag us on Instagram with your recreations, @healthyheartykitchen 🙂
Ginger Cauliflower and Chickpea Soup
- Large Pot
- Prep the vegetables by roughly chopping the cauliflower and carrots into small bite sized pieces, then thinly slice the white onion. Peel and grate the fresh ginger, or dice very finely.
- Heat a large pot on medium high heat. Add extra virgin olive oil, cauliflower, onions, and carrots. Saute for 7-9 minutes until the vegetables have softened. Add ginger and mix well, saute for 2-3 more minutes until ginger is fragrant.
- Add cooked chickpeas, apple cider vinegar, cumin, and turmeric. Mix well.
- Add bay leaves and vegetable broth, bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid for an hour.
- After an hour add lemon, salt and pepper to taste, and serve.