A super simple recipe for a delicious and nutritious Italian Sausage Quesadilla. These quesadillas are incredibly quick and simple to make, and are fantastic for meal prepping. The filling takes about 20 minutes to prepare and can be stored for 3-4 days. Once prepared, the tortilla making process becomes even quicker. This recipe makes 4 jumbo quesadillas, or 6-8 small or medium quesadillas. This recipe can be customized to fit different tastes and dietary needs. The filling can be made in advance and stored for 3-4 days in the fridge to be used when ready.
How to Make and Customize an Italian Sausage Quesadilla
The following steps contain substitution ideas, exact times and measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
Step 1: Prep the veggies! This recipe uses white onion, bell pepper, garlic, and spinach. Other vegetables can easily be added to the quesadillas. I also love adding mushrooms, zucchini, or any leafy greens in the fridge. Make sure to finely dice any vegetables being used, other than the leafy greens.
Step 2: Heat a pan on medium heat and add extra virgin olive oil and fennel seeds. Next, add the diced veggies and saute for 7-8 minutes until soft. Add minced garlic, and saute for 2-3 more minutes until fragrant.
Step 3: Add the Italian Sausage and smoked paprika. Cook for another 8-10 minutes until the sausage is fully cooked. Note: if the only Italian sausage available is in a casing, just cut a slit in the casing and squeeze out the meat from the casing. Pork or chicken Italian sausage will work here.
Step 4: Place a medium flour tortilla in the same pan on low heat and add filling to half of the tortilla. Add a layer of colby jack cheese, then close the tortilla. After about 3 minutes once the bottom has crisped up, flip the tortilla and toast the other side. Once the filling is done it can either be used immediately or stored in an airtight container to be used when ready.The filling can be stored for 3-4 days in the fridge. If making a quesadilla later, reheat the filling in a pan or the microwave, then make the rest of the quesadilla the same way. Flour tortillas can also be subbed for any tortilla you prefer.
Let us know in the comments or on social media how you made your quesadilla!
Try These Recipes Next!
We hope you enjoy this recipe! Don’t forget to tag us on Instagram with your recreations, @healthyheartykitchen 🙂
Italian Sausage Quesadilla
- Heat a pan on medium high heat, then add the fennel seeds. Toast for 2-3 minutes while mixing continuously. Add the diced onion and bell pepper, saute for 7-8 minutes until softened. Add the minced garlic and saute for another 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the Italian sausage and smoked paprika. Mix everything together and cook for about 10 minutes or until the sausage is fully cooked, mixing occasionally. Break apart with the back of a spoon or spatula while cooking.
- Add 2 handfuls of spinach, gently fold them in until they've fully wilted and mixed in with the rest of the filling. Season with salt and pepper, mix, then remove the mixture from the pan.
- In the same pan on low heat add a tortilla, flip it to let both sides get some of the leftover juices and flavor from the pan. Add a thin layer of cheese to the half of the tortilla. Next, add about ¼ cup to ½ cup of filling depending on the size of your tortilla on top of the cheese. Finally, add one more thin layer of cheese then fold the tortilla in half. Once the bottom is toasted, carefully flip the quesadilla and toast on the other side for about 2 minutes.
- Slice into thirds and serve with sour cream, guac, or salsa!